Doonbeg has developed a business focus in the Specialty Lending market as a result of the realization that two of its principal business sectors, Maritime and Mining, have suffered a dramatic decline in the availability of debt capital from traditional sources, especially commercial banks. Additionally, the regulatory, compliance and capital burdens that have been placed on the commercial banking industry since the 2008 credit crisis have given rise to a proliferation of non-bank and fintech platform lenders. The capital intensive nature of operating companies within the Maritime and Mining sectors has made for a potent combination.
Doonbeg has developed a solid reputation in the Specialty Lending sector and has expanded its reach to now serve the commercial real estate, securities clearing, and insurance markets. Doonbeg’s merchant focus is clearly advantageous as our partners and professionals with deep experience in finance can provide solid advice to Specialty Lenders in structuring their capital, hedging risk, and structuring asset sales or securitizations. Below is an example of a transaction that Doonbeg is currently working on:
Non-Bank Maritime Markets Lending Platform:
- Doonbeg sourced a non-bank lending transaction that intended to target the mezzanine, 2nd lien, and sale lease back debt finance marketplace for the Maritime sector.
- Doonbeg assisted the company in securing a debt capital facility from a sovereign wealth fund for $150 million with rights to increase if demand dictates.
- The lending platform was supported by a substantial equity commitment from large ship owning families which provided great credibility to the platform within the Maritime industry.
- Doonbeg will, on an ongoing basis, act as a loan originator utilizing its global network of shipping and offshore companies.
Doonbeg’s expertise includes:
- Direct senior management expertise in the dry cargo, tanker, container, and cruise ship industries.
- Direct experience in loan origination, loan pricing, risk management, structuring, and asset securitization.
- Long term involvement in the insurance, securities, and real estate markets.